Athens has been especially tense for the last ten days. Social and political conflict is escalating. Ten days ago at the general strike, riot police beat an anarchist demonstrator into a coma and hospitalized dozens more. When repressive governments feel that they are losing control, when they fear the spread of an idea, they resort to brutal repression. One only needs to look to Syria right now to see this at its extreme. As the ruling class clings to power in times of crisis, intimidation becomes the weapon of choice to assert dominance.After the unprovoked attack by the police on the tail end of the general strike demonstration, protesters responded to the police onslaught with a barrage of rocks, powerful fireworks, and molotov cocktails. Running street battles flared throughout downtown Athens, migrating towards the friendly streets of Exarchia. Dumpsters again burned in the streets to block the movement of riot police. Dozens of young anarchists carried out hit and run attacks on riot police from the Polytechnic University, a place police are forbidden to enter. Hundreds more occupied Exarchia square and the streets surrounding it. Firefighters arrived when police could clear an area long enough for them to extinguish the burning dumpsters and barricades. The march started at 11 am, and the street fighting didn’t end that night until 8 pm.
- NYC ANTIFA is an autonomous blog that is trying through different media (news, videos and information in general) help to build, defend, educate and create an effective cultural resistance against fascism.
- RT @avtonom_org_en: Support revolutionary media struggling inside Russia We believe that only from inside the country, you may observe and… 16 hours ago
- LMAO twitter.com/kenbensinger/s… 1 day ago
- "what's nyc like?" twitter.com/KrangTNelson/s… 2 days ago
- and people said that nyc is finished. twitter.com/gothamwhale/st… 2 days ago
- RT @VPS_Reports: Ryan Sanchez, a former member of the neo-Nazi gang Rise Above Movement, joined the pro-Trump/anti-FBI rally in Laguna Hill… 2 days ago
- RT @wrkclasshistory: #OtD 14 Aug 1923 Italian-American anarchist Carlo Tresca was arrested in the US, supposedly the home of free speech, f… 2 days ago
- The London Met police attacked & arrested women at a vigil for Sarah Everard, the woman a Met cop kidnapped, raped,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- German antifascist researchers: how does one find old Nazi-era records? Interested in permits or licenses they granted. 2 days ago